Fri, June 30, 2006, 04:27 PM under MobileAndEmbedded
It seems many NETCF developers are being bitten on Windows Vista after installing the WM 5.0 SDK for Visual Studio. The symptom is that although the SDK installation appears to go fine, the WM 5.0 project templates do not appear in VS2005
The problem has to do with User Account Control (btw, I'll have a lot more to say about UAC in a future blog post). The way to work around it (on Vista Beta 2 at least) is to disable UAC and then install the WM 5.0 SDK thus getting the project templates to appear.
1. Launch "Control Panel"
2. Navigate to "User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts"
3. Click on "Change Security Settings"
4. On the window that appears, uncheck the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer" checkbox (requires restart)
5. Now install the WM 5.0 SDK (or do a repair if you already had)
6. Launch VS2005 to verify you have the templates
7. Enable UAC again
The above combined with the WMDC
update should answer most relevant queries...